Hello chaps and chapesses!
Y’know how Facebook does that thing where it shows you what you posted on this day in the past, and you skip past quickly so you don’t have
to look at the old photos and wonder what the hell you were wearing?
Well today, Facebook told me that on 2nd February 2009 – 7 years ago today – I posted 25 random facts about myself on Facebook. It was one of those super-fun ‘tag a friend to do this and then tag the person who tagged you’ things that were all the rage back then.
Back in those days, 21 year old me was living in Montreal, working part time, studying for third year at university, and generally having wonderful adventures with fabulous people.
I thought it would be the most excellent fun to see what I wrote about myself, and how much (if at all) I’ve changed in the last 7 years.
25 Random Facts About Me
1. I hate making decisions because I’m really bad at it.
I’ve gotten way better at this as I’ve gotten older. Even managed to choose my wedding dress in one attempt – how’s that for decisive!
2. When I choose shampoo, it’s usually because of the smell.
….and if it’s on offer, and if it’s a decent brand.
3. Accents fascinate me. If I mimck your accent, I’m not taking the piss, I’m just showing appreciation.
I still love accents, but I fight the urge to mimick these days. People don’t seem to like it.
4. I believe that what goes around comes around.
5. Life is too short for sloppy grammar. Especially in newspapers and magazines. Don’t get me started.
I’m not as militant about this now, but it does still irk me.
6. I make a badass cup of tea.
Nobody who’s had a brew of mine would argue with that. I’m actually thinking about putting this skill on my CV.
7. I know all the words to the Elephant Love Medley from Moulin Rouge.
I can basically act out the whole scene with gusto.
8. I think eyes are gross. They’re all squishy and they have jelly stuff on them.
Eyeballs will never not be gross.
9. I don’t like seafood. Sorry, sushi fans. Don’t judge me.
I’ve branched out a bit in the last few years. Scallops are good, prawns are okay, and I like sushi, but anything that looks like a character from The Little Mermaid is a no-go.
10. I hate it when people ask me what kind of music I like, because my taste is so varied that I never know where to start, so the other person usually ends up thinking I have no opinion.
I can’t actually remember the last time I was asked about my music taste. In case you’re interested, it is still really varied.
11. Language is important to me.
Defo. I speak three, and would love to get to five one day.
12. I go through food phases, where my favourite food changes periodically. At the moment I’m on a tomato phase.
Current favourite foods: chorizo, cawl, pic n mix. Basically, I like ALL THE FOOD. Apart from cherished Disney characters (see no.9)
13. I prefer cold weather to hot weather.
Still true. Shivering is always preferable to sweating – at least you can layer up and drink hot chocolate when it’s cold.
14. I love my car.
I hadn’t been driving very long when I wrote this – the novelty’s worn off somewhat in the last 7 years.
15. I’m sentimental, so I often find it hard to let go.
Still a bit sentimental, but getting better at letting go.
16. After 5 months in Montreal, I’ve decided I want to live in a city when I grow up.
I got the whole big-city-lights thing out of my system living in Montreal for 9 months. Sometimes Chester feels too big these days – can’t beat the fresh air and open space of the countryside.
17. My friends are really important to me, and I will defend them fiercely. Grrrr innit.
Not so much of the ‘grrr innit’ these days, but yeah, my friends mean the world to me.
18. I’m glad I never have to go back to school. Uni is so much better.
Uni got much harder the year after I wrote this, and although I did still enjoy it, I wouldn’t repeat that final year if you paid me. I love learning, but that last year was a massive stressfest of deadlines and assessment, and I did not love that.
19. I read my horoscope every day, out of habit.
20. I look like my dad.
Kind of, I guess. I’m definitely not the milkman’s, put it that way.
21. I love wearing pretty shoes, but I hate how big my feet are.
I’ve gotten used to my big feet, but it’s still frustrating when there are hardly any pretty shoes in my size in the sales.
22. My favourite places in the world are Paris, Llansteffan and the river in Chester.
23. I hate being short sighted, but I’m too much of a wuss to entertain the thought of laser treatment.
I’m a bit less of a wuss now, but only a bit, so the thought of laser surgery is still pretty scary.
24. I’m terrified of losing my marbles when I’m old. That, and getting cancer.
25. I want to learn Latin. I think it’d be cool.
I haven’t done a thing about this, but it WOULD be cool! I could pretend to be a Roman! Imagine that!
What were you doing in 2009? Has much changed for you since then?